The Shiva Sutras is
attributed to the sage Vasugupta, and is 77 aphorisms of Kashmir Shavism.
Though functioning as its own tradition, Kashmir Shavism emerged around
8th century CE out of the preexisting Tantra.
1. Consciousness is the being.
2. Knowledge the fetters.
3. The yoni divisions are the body of time.
4. The matrikas are the seat of knowledge.
5. Endeavour is Bhairava.
6. In the union of the circle of the Shaktis is the dissolution of the
7. The fourth enjoys and is contained in the states of waking, dreaming
8. Knowledge is the waking state.
9. False imagining is the dream state.
10. Want of awareness is Maya, deep sleep.
11. The triad eaten by a Lord Hero.
12. Surprise-wonderment is the place of yoga.
13. Iccha Shakti is Uma, the Virgin.
14. All things the body.
15. When the collective-observation-shock is in the heart, dream vision
16. From being aware of the pure essence comes the shakti of
17. Deliberation-pondering is being-wisdom.
18. World bliss is samadhi happiness.
19. In the abode of Shakti is creation of the body.
20. The collective abode of the elements is the universe, the elements
separately are the shocks.
21. From the appearance of pure knowledge come the many Shaktis of the
lord of the circle (of the Shaktis).
22. By concentrating on the transcendent lake of female energy, mantra
life is obtained.
1. Consciousness the mantra.
2. Endeavour the method.
3. The science-body-being the secret of mantra.
4. In the womb state of consciousness expansion the inferior science of
the dream state.
5. In the arising of vidya, spontaneously, one may move in the void,
6. By means of the guru.
7. Awakened knowledge is the circle of the letters of the alphabet.
8. The body is the sacrifical ladle.
9. Knowledge is the food.
10. From the heap of knowledge arising from seeing in the dream state.
1. The being is consciousness.
2. Knowledge the fetters.
3. From the kalas, the thing called in non discrimination, Maya.
4. In the body the dissolution of the kalas.
5. The nadi dissolution is the victory over the elements, freedom from
the elements, separation of the elements.
6. Siddhi from the appearance of delusion.
7. The victory over delusion is the victory of spontaneous knowledge,
which is of endless extent.
8. From the waking state, the world is a ray.
9. The essence is the dancer.
10. The inner essence is the theatre stage.
11. The sense organs are the audience.
12. Insight from will is the pure siddhi.
13. Accomplishment means transformation into independence.
14. As there, so elsewhere.
15. Attention is the bija.
16. Asana is the happiness of immersion in Shakti.
17. One's own measure is the measure suitable for measuring, giving
18. Imperishable knowledge means destruction of births.
19. In the Ka-series are Maheshvari and so forth, the beast-mothers.
20. Pour the fourth in the three like oil diffusing in water.
21. One should enter, immersed, by one's own consciousness.
22. Equally the practice of breath produces a similar sight.
23. In the centre, emanating the lower.
24. In the measure of one's own trust in the abode is this prevented
again from appearing.
25. One knows equality with Shiva.
26. The existence of the body becomes a religious vow.
27. Conversation is mantra recitation.
28. The act of offering is being-wisdom.
29. Whosoever is in this state is the means of knowledge.
30. The universe becomes an aggregate of his Shaktis.
31. Both maintenance and dissolution.
32. Though subject to the cyclic law, one is not excluded from self
33. Happiness and sadness become external.
34. Set free from that, one is complete.
35. The being of action is a heap of delusion.
36. Sundering the internal stream proceeding from action.
37. The creative Shakti from one's own spirit-perception-feeling.
38. The primordial animating one with three parts.
39. Observation remaining, the body creates action externally.
40. From wanting external actions arises the collective being.
41. When really reaching that, through its destruction, the embodied
being is destroyed.
42. When the element-sheaths are released, at that time one becomes
supreme and equal to the lord.
43. The inherent union of breath.
44. What is meant by restraint in the centre of the brow? The left and
right in the central channel.
45. Again and again comes all encompassing awareness.
This site is devoted to
presenting the ancient Self-Realization path of
the Tradition of the Himalayan masters
in simple, understandable and beneficial ways, while not compromising
quality or depth. The goal of our sadhana or practices is the highest
Joy that comes from the Realization in direct experience of the
center of consciousness, the Self, the Atman or Purusha, which is
one and the same with the Absolute Reality.
This Self-Realization comes through Yoga meditation of the Yoga
Sutras, the contemplative insight of Advaita Vedanta, and the
intense devotion of Samaya Sri Vidya Tantra, the three of which
complement one another like fingers on a hand.
We employ the classical approaches of Raja, Jnana, Karma, and Bhakti
Yoga, as well as Hatha, Kriya, Kundalini, Laya, Mantra, Nada, Siddha,
and Tantra Yoga. Meditation, contemplation, mantra and prayer
finally converge into a unified force directed towards the final
stage, piercing the pearl of wisdom called bindu, leading to the